Loading palette preview

History of Columbia Township Library

The first library in Unionville was begun by the Unionville Woman's Club in 1952 in an upstairs room at the American Legion Hall. It was privately operated by the Woman's Club.

In 1966 a member of the Tuscola County Library Board met to discuss possibilities and procedures for establishing a township library. On January 16, 1967, a resolution was made to form a library. A country school house had been moved to town and converted to a kindergarten room at the school. The building, no longer used as a school room, was purchased for the library. School officials granted use of the building on the school grounds for one year.  The Columbia Township Library was open for business on July 8, 1967. This building was moved on August 15, 1968, to Merry Street, across the street from the school.

In 2005 the library moved to its present location, the former Unionville Clinic, at 6456 Center Street. The new building was purchased and enlarged to hold the library, a community room, and a computer lab. All of this was made possible with the help of a local business which wrote a grant to USDA Rural Development to provide Internet access for under-served populations.

As a result of money granted from The Robert C. Reinhardt Trust in 2010, the library was automated in October of 2011.  In February of 2012 Overdrive was made available to our patrons to borrow ebooks and audio books.  In May 2017, the library began offering access to digital magazines through RB Digital.